About a week ago I had the pleasure dining with two of my friends at Paolo’s in Charlestown, MA while I was visiting for the weekend. I was looking at the menu and just about to give into my carb craving for pasta when I noticed I could order my “pasta dish” with SPAGHETTI SQUASH! Yes, squash is not pasta, and it will definitely never replace it….but its a great substitute when trying to a lot your calories for “other things”….like ice cream, pinot grigio, and chicken & waffles (not in that order or all at the same time)
Anyways, I was so impressed with the SPAGHETTI SQUASH AIOLI W/ BROCCOLI & CHICKEN that I ordered at Paolo’s that I decided I had to try and recreate it.
Ingredients you’ll need:
– Broccoli Florets
– 6-7 cloves garlic (increase or decrease according to your love or lack there of for garlic)
– 3 chicken breasts
– Olive oil
– Medium spaghetti squash
About an hour before you want to start cooking dinner put the broccoli florets in a pot full of water, olive oil, and chopped garlic. Cook on medium/high until broccoli is soft. Shut off the broccoli and leave it off to the side until you finish the following steps.
(1) Pour olive oil in a large skillet, and add minced/chopped garlic cloves put on low
(2) Add a little olive oil to another small skillet and put the chicken on medium/high (depending on how much time you have to cook)
(3) Poke 6-8 holes in the spaghetti squash and put it in the microwave for 10-12 minutes
(4) Continue cooking the garlic on low – DO NOT LET IT BURN. Continue cooking the chicken until it is cooked through. Once it is cooked through remove the chicken from the stove, cut into small pieces and add to the large skillet.
(5) Then take a spoon w/ holes in it (okay I’m sure there’s a technical term for this but I don’t know it lol), and scoop the broccoli into the large skillet. The “spoon w/ holes in it” will allow the water the broccoli was cooking in to drain away and stay in the pot.
** It’s about now that I put the skillet on low and take a few minutes to clean up because preparing the squash tends to get messy, and hate making a mess on top of another mess**
Now that the skillet is on low – take your spaghetti squash out of the microwave – WARNING: VERY HOT!
(6) Cut the spaghetti squash in half, clean out the seeds, and then use a fork to separate the squash from its skin, once the squash is separated add it to the skillet it with the rest of the ingredients. Stir every few minutes on low until all the ingredients have had a chance to “marinate” with each other
AH NOM NOM!
I chose to serve it fresh off the stove, with some grated cheese on top and then saved the leftovers for lunch this week. My guess is this recipes makes about 4-5 servings depending on whether or not you have it as a side or as an entree.
By the way, sorry the pictures aren’t so great on this post! I’m not in my own kitchen this weekend, I was hungry and rushing around, with no real intention to blog until I was just about done cooking – but I hope you enjoy the recipe and please as always let me know your thoughts or if you have any recipes for me to try!
Hope everyone is having a great weekend!