Obviously, by now we all know I love trying new recipes and, I try to be healthy (minus my Pinot Grigio intake haha). So, I was definitely excited when my mother’s cardiologist recommended that she start reading Wheat Belly its a book that helps you get started on a wheat-free diet. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not going wheat-free, but I’ll be a good daughter and TRY to be as wheat-free as possible around my mother and help her out with trying new recipes.
The first recipe I tried out of the book is the Parmesan-Almond Breaded Pork Chops.
What you’ll need:
– Lean, Boneless Pork Chops
– Almonds (whole, slivered, plain, un-salted) (or if you’re in the rush you can buy almond “bread crumbs” from the store)
– 1/4 Cup (I used a 1/2 cup) Grated Parmesan Cheese
– 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
– 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
– Egg Whites
– Skim Milk (I use Skim Plus)
(1) Preparing the Almond “Bread Crumbs” — I used a small blender, the one you see on QVC all the time, that makes 1 cup quantities. I bought a 10z bag of slivered almonds and put about 2 handfuls in the blender. The almonds become a “powder” in seconds.
(2) Add the powdered almonds to a 1/4-1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese, add the 1 teaspoon onion powder and 1 teaspoon garlic powder. Stir and set aside.
(3) Mix the eggs whites, with a dash or 2 of milk, take the pork chops, dip them in the egg mixture and then through the “breading” mixture.
(4) Put olive oil in a skillet, and place the pork chops in the skillet. I covered the tops of the pork chops with additional olive oil to make sure the “breading” sticks
(5) Cook the pork chops on medium heat until they are cooked through, I usually turn up the heat towards the end to provide a crispier looking “breading”
AH NOM NOM!! You’re done!
I have to check if I blogged about my veggie side dish, but we paired the pork chops with chopped red potatoes, carrots and zucchini. The veggies were in a glass pyrex, coated in olive oil & italian seasoning and then placed in the oven at 375 for about 30 minutes. Tonight’s dinner maybe PECAN CRUSTED CHICKEN. Assuming its a site worth seeing and a recipe worth tasting then I will post it tomorrow for you!